Job Mission: Optimize the Harvard Innovation Labs investments in technology to yield greater value for all customers while improving overall efficiencies
- Help oversee the effective acquisition, development and deployment of all new and existing technologies that support the Harvard Innovation Labs in their operation and evolution
- Lead and manage the Technology team to deliver development and implementation roadmaps that align with the strategic and tactical priorities of the organization
- Work with the team to develop an annual Department Plan that contributes to the organization’s overall annual Strategic Plan and the achievement of both short and long-term performance metrics
- Develop an annual technology operating cost and capital request plan to ensure sufficient resources are in place while reducing functional redundancy and overlap
- Develop a best practices approach to technology development, procurement, licensing and user adoption that ensures maximum return on investment
- Work directly with all department heads to ensure constant alignment of effort against need and ensure that the technology tools in place are useful and being consistently and effectively utilized
- Oversee all technology associated with the Maker, Media and AR/VR studios, ensuring the resources are in line with customer needs and meet HBS performance standards
- Partner with HBS IT to ensure that the Harvard Innovation Labs conform to HBS security standards and other essential protocols
- Partner with HBS IT to take full advantage of the operational resources offered
- Establish effective third party relationships to ensure that all technologies are secure, up-to-date and fully operational, including but not limited to websites, databases and applications
- Serve as an effective and compelling manager to direct reports and as a role model for all members of the Harvard Innovation Labs staff
- Directs the Technology team in executing production tasks according to a documented schedule that meets or exceeds internal customer expectations.
- Works with the Product Manager to produce detailed time lines for each application release and implements effective project control by monitoring the progress of the software release and reporting the status.
- Directs and prioritizes the work load of all team members
- Reviews all designs, code and unit test plans where applicable.
- Approves all business requirements prior to the technical solution.
- Participates on all hardware and software evaluations and maintains vendor contracts.
- Represents the IT function at all customer review meetings
- Stay connected to and engaged with the broader Boston technology sector
Innovation Lab Personality Attributes:
- Essential Business Sensibilities
- The customer always comes first
- Innovate everything
- Balance quality with quantity
- Nail the brand
- BA/BS required, MBA preferred
- 5-10 years of experience in a technology industry focused startup or in a technology company in a project management/oversight role
- Strong understanding of and passion for the latest technologies and technology trends; website development experience a must
- Solid management and people development experience
- Strong diplomacy, organizational and communication skills (verbal, written)
- Significant experience leading projects requiring collaboration across teams of diverse people to achieve ‘above and beyond’ results.
- Proven ability to deliver results with minimal oversight (self-starter)
- Excellent local network in the technology space
- Excellent communication skills – verbal, written, PowerPoint
- Services all Innovation Labs’ constituents
- Provides support to Centralized Marketing, Advising, Operations, Community Relations and Network Development
- Direct Reports: Product Manager, Lead Developer, Systems Engineer
- Reports To: Director of Operations & Administration
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume as a single PDF, titled “[First name] [Last name] Associate Director – Technical Project Lead” to email@example.com with the email subject line “Application for Associate Director – Technical Project Lead position”.
Direct Reports: Product Manager, Lead Developer, Systems Engineer
Reports To: Director of Operations & Administration
Last Updated: 11.26.18