The AD, Technology is responsible for advising and mentoring Harvard students, alumni and affiliate-founded ventures that are technology-centric and/or in the business-to-business space. The role oversees programming (workshops, roundtables, outreach etc.) to inform our community about the opportunities and challenges in tackling problems and creating value with technology innovations. The ideal candidate has led or been part of the leadership team of a technology-centric startup, is connected to the Boston technology entrepreneurship ecosystem, has experience as a mentor to startups and students, and is an excellent presenter, communicator and project manager.
Create meaningful, life impacting value for Harvard students, alumni, and affiliate teams interested in technology-centric innovation and/or startups.
- Serve as the primary Staff Advisor for all assigned Technology and/or Business-to-Business teams and students in the Harvard Innovation Labs ecosystem (i-lab, LLX and Life Lab) using the HIL assessment and guidance methodology to ensure traction
- Develop and implement innovation skills development programming and resources that align with the core HIL pedagogy and support all three HIL programs. Plans will be developed in coordination with contacts developed from assigned Harvard schools, student clubs, and/or outside groups. Balance recruiting external speakers with personally delivered sessions
- Serve as the primary liaison to students, student clubs, selected faculty, and administrative staff from across Harvard schools working on technology and business-to-business ventures.
- Initiate activities and programs that build the Harvard Innovation Labs as a community home for student entrepreneurs and innovators pursuing technology-centric ideas.
- Serve as a contact point for faculty across Harvard who are interested in partnering to drive their teaching and program ideas with the i-lab and the Innovation Labs in general.
- Participate in the guidance of the President’s Innovation Challenge Open Track and overall execution with support from the Operations and Marketing teams.
- Build and maintain understanding and relationships with entrepreneurial ecosystem in Boston and other key national hubs, i.e. SF & NYC.
Other Tasks and Accountabilities:
- Work with Marketing and Operations to ensure Technology programming is executed flawlessly
- Work with the Director of Advising to optimize the Venture Incubation Program Mentor Program.
- Actively participate in the broader innovation community and the technology sector in particular
HIL Brand Personality Attributes
HIL Performance Principles
- Raise your own bar – be an active learner
- Start with Why – be strategic
- Get outside – learn from others
- Think sideways – collaborate across departments
- Don’t look back – let go of legacy thinking
Requirements and Qualifications:
- BA/BS required, MBA preferred
- 10 years of experience leading or helping to grow a technology focused startup organization
- Strong understanding in and passion for the latest technologies and technology trends
- Excellent local network in the technology startup space
- Experience with B2B/enterprise business models
- Experience working with university students preferred
- Strong diplomacy, organizational and communication skills (verbal, written)
- Proven ability to deliver results with minimal oversight (self-starter)
- Excellent communication skills – verbal, written, presentation
- Some experience with event management preferred
- The ability to work occasional extra hours, including evenings and weekends, to meet deadlines and oversee and/or attend events
- Agility, gravitas, and high EQ are valued attributes
- Solid PowerPoint and Excel skills required
- Client to Marketing, Tech Dev and Operations
- Supplier to Marketing, Tech Dev and Operations
Direct Reports: NA
Reports To: Director of Advising
Last Updated: 1.14.2019
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume as a single PDF, titled “[First name] [Last name] Associate Director, Technology” to email@example.com with the email subject line “Application for Associate Director, Technology position”.