Title: Manager, Events and Operations
The Manager of Operations and Events will support efforts in running the day-to-day operations of the Harvard Innovation Labs. This role organizes and manages all event logistics for events hosted at the i-lab and serves as the primary contact for special signature events, external events, and academic courses taught at the i-lab. This position serves as the primary administrative contact and liaison for those seeking to utilize the i-lab space for external purposes. This role includes heavy personal interaction with faculty, students, staff, and other key stakeholders. This role works independently with minimal supervision.
Event Planning and Management
- Manages logistical aspects of all events, including the President’s Innovation Challenge; logistics include staffing, space setup, catering, post-event surveys, etc.
- Provides daily and weekly reporting, related to event details and logistics to key set up departments.
- Interfaces and negotiates with support departments/vendors to coordinate event services: catering, AV, Signage, Logistics, Registration, Parking, Security, rental companies
- Provides detailed checklists for every event to ensure the operations run efficiently
- Supports the advising and marketing teams, academic classes, community partnerships, select external events, and other Innovation Labs initiatives
- Primary staff user of bookings systems – EMS and intranet system; ensure all are up-to-date and maintained
- Provides outstanding customer service to external event organizers and internal constituents
- Liaison with marketing team to monitor guest counts and registration process
- Oversees mail sorting, stocking of the kitchen, and general cleanliness of all physical spaces within the i-lab, including the lobby, conference rooms, studios/workshops, etc.
- Collaborates with the marketing team to ensure the i-lab provides a positive and user friendly experience for all that enter
- Develops and enforces new policies that improve our operational efficiency, i.e. meeting room policies
- Serves as primary contact with support departments and facility vendors
- Supports the redesign initiatives involving the i-lab physical space
- Supervises the concierge program at the i-lab
Community Relations Partner: As part of our cooperative agreement with the Allston/Brighton community, we provide space, education, and social events for the community. This role is the primary contact for all partners to assist in coordination of events that occur within i-lab space. Standard partners and events include:
- SCORE executive meetings and general meetings
- ABCDC Home Buying Workshops
- CWE Workshops
- Ice Cream Social with the Boston community
- Primary contact for all academic classes hosted and instructed at the i-lab
- Offers excellent customer service to faculty, teaching assistants, and class participants by offering on-site support and classroom setup consultation
- Acts as liaison with HBS security, insuring appropriate systems are in place to monitor usage and identify guests.
- Assists with the planning and coordination of Advisory Board Meetings
- Supports other project management assignments as needed
- Proactive, Collaborative, Methodical/Detail Oriented, Thorough, Outgoing
- BA/BS required
- 2 years of experience in event planning and execution
- Strong organizational skills and excellent attention to detail
- Comfortable with ambiguity while striving for clarity and details
- Strong diplomacy, organizational and communication skills (verbal, written)
- Significant experience leading projects requiring collaboration across teams of diverse people to achieve ‘above and beyond’ results.
- Proven ability to deliver results with minimal oversight (self-starter)
Direct Reports: None
Reports To: Director of Operations & Administration
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume as a single PDF, titled “[First name] [Last name] Manager Events and Operations” to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject line “Application for Manager, Events and Operations position”.