The Harvard Innovation Labs is looking for an experienced and talented Ruby on Rails developer to contribute to the envisioning, building, and support of the technology that makes the Innovation Labs run. You’ll be responsible for backend design and data modeling, API design and integration, and frontend implementation.
We use a modern set of frameworks and technologies: Ruby On Rails 5, ActiveRecord, jQuery, PostgreSQL, Bootstrap, Heroku and AWS.
- Building and supporting the applications used to make the Innovation Labs run effectively and efficiently
- Designing robust, scalable and secure features
- Ensure code quality, organization, and automatization
- Contributing in all phases of the development lifecycle
- Experience with Ruby on Rails 5 and Postgres, along with other common frameworks
- Experience building and deploying JSON APIs and using web hooks
- Experience with Bootstrap
- Advanced experience with Active Record
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Heroku, Amazon Web Services
- Skilled at working on small distributed teams
- Understanding of Jquery data tables
- Data Visualization experience
- Ionic is a strong plus
- Reactive Native is a strong plus
- SQL Views with Scenic
- Avid Learner
Why you’ll love this job:
- You’ll have the flexibility to expand the parameters of this role.
- You’ll get to work with a truly supportive and dynamic team.
- You’ll be knee-deep in a truly cross-Harvard community, with passionate students, dedicated staff, and endless opportunities.
- You’ll get to know hundreds of early-stage companies working in every industry, led by enthusiastic Harvard students from all 13 Harvard Schools.
- You’ll also learn some lessons along the way about how a startup functions – because the i-lab is a startup too. We’re always iterating.
Why you would be good at this job:
- You enjoy working as part of a team and feel comfortable sharing your thoughts.
- You have a “no job is too big or small” philosophy about work.
- You maintain high standards of excellence and a keen attention to detail.
- You like working in a fast-paced and multi-faceted environment.
Why we’ll love working with you:
- You’re a team player and can work closely with your colleagues on multiple projects.
- You’re creative and like creative problem solving and sharing your ideas with your team.
- You demonstrate strong diplomacy, professional courtesy, and interpersonal skills.
- You maintain your sense of humor and positive attitude in all situations; fitting in with our hard-working but lighthearted team.
- You demonstrate the i-lab personality: Passionate, Nimble, Thoughtful, Clever.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- 3-5 years of engineering experience with at least 2 years with Ruby on Rails
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, comfortable working with non tech constituents
- A strong work ethic, and highly collaborative, success-oriented attitude
- Must primarily be able to work on site, but there is some flexibility for remote work
- Willingness to learn new skills and to share your skills with other engineers, stakeholders and students.
We are looking for someone who can work 35 hours a week onsite with option of remote work occasionally. This is a contractor position so benefits are not offered. You must also be able to bring your own computer.
Harvard i-lab, Batten Hall, 125 Western Avenue, on the edge of the Harvard Business School campus. (To get here, either use the free Harvard shuttle or enjoy a 15-minute walk from Harvard Square.)
Please send a cover letter and resume as a single PDF, titled “[First name] [Last name] Full-Stack Developer application” to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject line “Application for Full-Stack Developer position”.
Direct Reports: None
Reports To: Director
Last Updated: 1.28.19