Update on COVID-19: Office hours for the studios will be canceled until further notice but the studios will remain open for those with swipe access. Please wipe down all equipment and door handles in the studio after use.
About the AR/VR Studio
The AR/VR Studio is a dedicated space for the exploration of cutting-edge immersive technologies — physically and imaginatively. The AR/VR Studio is equipped with technologies that include various software and design platforms, multiple headset configurations, workstations, and filming resources to help students experiment and create innovations in a wide range of industries.
Please note: the AR/VR Studio is a resource for all full-time, degree-seeking Harvard students.
What can you do here?
- Experience the latest AR/VR equipment in an open session.
- Learn about the technology with a dedicated team of experienced TAs.
- Understand how to apply the tech to your specific field and build deeper learnings with one-on-one meetings.
- Build MVPs and prototypes when you attend workshops.
- Imagine the future of this technology by attending guest speaker symposiums, when available.
- Laser Cut Your Own VR Glasses
Storytelling in AR/VR
- Alienware workstations
- The HTC Vive
- Oculus Rift and Touch
- PlayStation VR
- Samsung Gear
- Google DayDream View
- Microsoft Hololens
- 3-D and 360° cameras
- Software from Unity and Unreal
- Other production software
Harvard’s Role in the History of AR/VR
Virtual reality — and the related fields of augmented reality and mixed reality — has its foundational roots at Harvard. From 1965 to 1968, Ivan Sutherland, an Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering at Harvard, helped create the first virtual reality and augmented reality head-mounted display system, named “The Sword of Damocles.” Today, across Harvard, AR, VR, and MR (mixed reality) technologies are being leveraged in new and unique ways by students, researchers, faculty, and more. We want to give the students who are ideating around this as broad a playground to play in as can be imagined.
Learn about our security policies and rules-of-use.